With WordPress, one wants to follow a “best practice” that allows you to constantly update the Parent Theme, without jeopardizing (or losing) any custom modifications you have made to your own site. The method recommended for WordPress is to use a Child Theme.
We offer custom Child Themes to add functionality that is not otherwise offered by certain popular Premium Theme authors like WooThemes or Elegant Themes, including BuddyPress, bbPress, WooCommerce, Wistia Video…all “ready to use”. In such case, we also provide the Parent theme (being that they are all 100% GPL and Open Source), so that you get both the Child and Parent, ready to use on your site or hosted with us.
A Child Theme provides a safe and secure holding area for both the modifications we provide out of the box, but also for any modifications you make. Then, should you update your Parent (which you should do at every opportunity a new update arrives), you will not change anything about your own modifications, because they are safely contained in the Child.
In the event you update your Child Theme (from us), we’ve structured the Child so that 99% of the time your own custom styles can also be preserved quite easily. If you have used the “labzip-custom.css” file to hold your CSS modifications, then just copy and paste that over to the updated Child Theme (or to your desktop) and then update to the new Child. Likewise, if you have added any structural or page modifications to the Child Theme, copy those over.
We realize there is a possibility that you have modified your Child extensively and it may become a “new” burden to update the Child in such case… but there is always a point at which some things require a little “hands-on” and we’ve tried to reduce that to the 1% of the time when someone has gone wild with mods… whereas the other 99% of the time, you just click “update” and your site is good to go with updating only the parent.
Hope this helps!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
The topic ‘Purchasing a Parent or Child Theme’ is closed to new replies.